Forum

For studying the ceremonies for crowning British Kings and Queens.

Link to the Original Message Board ☆ Banner by Baxter ☆

The service of Coronation of King Charles III is on 6 May 2023 at Westminster Abbey, London.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

February 15, 2023 2:28 am  #1

Queen Camilla's Crown

It has now been announced that the Queen Consort will be crowned with a modified version of Queen Mary's Crown. Here is the link to the official statement.

February 16, 2023 7:18 pm  #2

Re: Queen Camilla's Crown

"Queen Camilla's Crown" is how I see it being known in the future because this crown will be so different after half the arches are removed.  I fear that Queen Mary's Crown will never be restored to its original beautiful design.

The great beauty of Queen Mary's Crown is in its slim arches. Just look at how each one barely touches the cross-pattée or fleur-de-lis element below, curves out then back and tapers as it rises up to where the rolled tips of all eight arches meet. The tips all curl over and out so that the orb and cross above appear to float there. The design is light, elegant and feminine, all of which are uncommon in crowns. Just beautiful.

February 16, 2023 7:25 pm  #3

One wonders if the intention to remove four of the eight arches from the silver-framed crown of Queen Mary is to make it lighter for the wearer. If so, the crown of Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother could have been used having a lighter platinum frame. The Koh-i-nûr could have been removed and the same three Cullinans set in this crown. There would be no need to adjust its arches. Its overall appearance would not change and it would continue to be recognisable.The Koh-i-nûr could be returned to its brooch setting as worn in this Winterhalter portrait of Queen Victoria.

February 19, 2023 4:51 pm  #4

Here is another point of view on the selection of Queen Mary's Crown for the coronation of Queen Camilla.

Board footera

Royal Jewels Lists are suspended.