Forum

For studying the ceremonies for crowning British Kings and Queens.

Link to the Original Message Board ☆ Banner by Baxter ☆

The service of Coronation of King Charles III is on 6 May 2023 at Westminster Abbey, London.

You are not logged in. Would you like to login?

October 20, 2022 7:06 pm  #1

Queen Mary's Crown

Link to the Royal Collection

My favourite pic of the crown of Queen Mary, consort of George V, is shown second below. The arches are so elegant and support the orb as though it is floating above them. It was made for Queen Mary’s coronation on 22 June 1911. 

Queen Mary wore it without the arches to the coronation of her son George VI on 12 May 1937. I think it is unlikely to be used for the 2023 coronation. [Edit: When I wrote that it never occurred to me that anyone would consider making any changes to the design of this beautiful crown.]

Last edited by Nellie (February 24, 2023 11:29 am)

May 12, 2023 12:26 am  #2

Re: Queen Mary's Crown

For the 1937 coronation of her son King George VI, Queen Mary wore her own crown without arches - plus a stunning array of diamonds.

From the bottom, the Cullinan III and IV brooch, a very large cluster of hoops which has since been dismantled, possibly eight rivieres, possibly a pair of diamonds in the centre of the base of her crown (replacing Cullinan IV), and Cullinan V in its brooch setting on the front cross element.

Added by edit: See next message for clearer images.

Last edited by Nellie (May 12, 2023 11:58 am)

May 12, 2023 12:24 pm  #3

Clearer images show seven rivieres and the circlet in more detail. 

The caption gives more information about the Garter insignia and Orders.

May 12, 2023 1:50 pm  #4

One more enlargement

Board footera

Royal Jewels Lists are suspended.